Bluffed: not by Bluff…

Distance 60 kms. Ride Time: 3:53 hours.

Despite being the end of SH1, Stirling Point at Bluff is not quite New Zealand’s most southerly mainland location. That distinction belongs to Slope Point, some distance away to the east.

Bluff is a seaport, grimly industrial, with an air of neglect and decline. Because of the location at the end of the road, it’s one of those places that you feel you may regret not visiting, and then once you do, wonder why you bothered.

There's not much more to say about Bluff. Despite the forecast of rain the day dawned clear and warm, but became overcast while I dallied over my preparations. I stripped everything but bar bag from the bike, and fastened my rain gear on the rack. It made for an easier ride, and I was back in Invercargill just after lunch.

Of much greater interest than Bluff, was my visit to E Hayes & Sons, the local hardware store, which houses in amongst the hardware an impressive collection of vintage motorcycles including Burt Munro’s 1922 Indian Scout (World's Fastest Indian), speedway and race bikes, some vintage and classic cars, and odd bits of farm machinery.

I wandered around the displays for an hour or so, and there were quite a few others like me who were obviously only in the store to view the displays. Another visitor told me he had seen the two Vauxhall cars used in the movie at the transport museum in Wanaka, which because it is bit out of the town centre, I didn't visit.

Stirling Point, Bluff - end of SH1...

Bert Munro's original 1922 Indian Scout...

The world's fastest Indian...

Boofle took a fancy to the movie replica...
Scene straight from the movie - Burt's homemade pistons and rods...
I could have used one of these on some of the passes I've crossed...

There is something very special about an Arial Square Four - here's a pair of them,
with a water-cooled Velocette in the background

How rare is this...

This Morris Commercial has been beautifully restored...



2 comments:

  1. You have just about run out of land to the south Ron. There is always Stewart Island if you don't mind a bit of mud.
    So how are those oysters? And the New Zealand ice cream?
    Regards Graham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it happens, I'm not a fan of oysters - but what is really good is the seafood chowder. Almost every restaurant and cafe has it on the menu, and I've yet to have a bad one.

      The blue cod is also very good, as is the cookies and cream ice cream.

      And the Speights Old Dark Ale.

      Hmmmm - hungry, what's for dinner...

      Delete