A long way to the top: hacking the pass…

Distance: 56 km. Time: 5:00 hours.

The crossing of the Hakataramea Pass looked to be a challenge. It is 107 kms from Kurow to Lake Tekapo, and I had allowed two days for the crossing, although I optimistically hoped to do it in one day.

After my customary bowl of oats I packed up and headed into the town centre, where I had a second breakfast and gathered lunch supplies, then headed off over the rickety looking bridge across the Waitaki River. Immediately after the bridge, the road began with a sharp climb, which once again had my cold legs protesting, but after a few ups and down the road leveled out and headed up the beautiful Hakataramea Valley, an area of rich farming land. It was a lovely day for cycling, and the air was redolent with the scent of newly-mowed hay.

The road continued dead straight and level for kilometre after kilometre. Then after 34 kms the gravel section started, and it was quite different to the Danseys Pass road, with heavy drifts of loose gravel laying on the surface. This made for slow progress and demanded constant concentration to avoid a front wheel washout.

After a brief stop to devour the huge pork sandwich from the bakery in Kurow, I continued on the seemingly endless straight road, by now looking out for a suitable place to set up camp. Eventually, at around 5 pm I reached the base of the climb to the pass, and spotting a grassy patch next to a stream, set up my camp for the night. 

The Waitaki River bridge looks like it is ready to fall down...

Boofle eyes my pork sanger...

Looking for somewhere to camp...



And finally finding it...
By the Dalgety Stream...



No comments:

Post a Comment