Waiting for good weather: a short cruise to Naseby...

Distance: 16.4km. Time: 1:33 hours.

Yesterday I could see my planned route over the mountains was covered with fresh white snow, and clouds and showers lingered. This made my plan to cross Danseys Pass seem very unlikely unless the weather improved significantly. I considered my options, but staying low meant cutting almost a week of my tour.

So I decided to press on and spend the night in Naseby, hoping that a forecast change in the wind would arrive, and the crossing of the pass would be feasible. And if the weather didn’t improve I’d continue along to the end of the rail trail where I could perhaps take a bus to Lake Tekapo.

With only 15 kms to cover, I didn’t rush this morning. After a late breakfast in a local café, I set out and after an easy ride reached Naseby just after midday, set myself up in a room at the local pub, and now I’m sitting by the fire in the bar to update my journal.

I should have been here yesterday, but as things turned out, that was an ambitious plan. Tomorrow will be decision day. If the weather is good I’ll head on up the pass, at least to the hotel, but on over to Dunstan or Kurow if conditions are favourable. Otherwise I’ll return to the rail trail and head for Alexandra, where I may decide to take a bus to Lake Tekapo.

Yep - the pass is that way...
A welcoming spot - 150 years pub at Naseby.


No comments:

Post a Comment