Danseys Pass: crossing the Kakanui Range…

Distance: 70km. Time: 6:46 hours.

This morning was decision time: to attempt the pass, or re-route along the rail trail. Looking out the window, the sky was cloudy grey, but there seemed to be no wind blowing – the trees where still. But the last night the TV weather service had warned that northwesterly gales were expected, with wind speeds up to 130 kph.

But I decided to go for the pass, and fueled up for the day with a big pub breakfast. Luckily as it turned out – it was going to be a long day.

Setting off from Naseby, the road immediately ascends a short but steep climb – my cold legs protested, and I found myself walking a short distance, but the road soon leveled, and unexpected opened onto a broad plain, with the hills some way off in the distance.  The gravel road surface was reasonable, with only occasional corrugations and rougher sections. But the loose gravel buildup meant care and concentration were required to avoid loosing grip with the front wheel.

I made good progress, and by 10:30am had arrived at the Dansey Pass Hotel, an amazing building built right on the edge of the road. Still feeling replete from my breakfast, I stopped only long enough for a brownie and a cappuccino, and then headed for the pass still some 13 kms away.

The climb proper began soon after leaving the hotel, and whilst it wasn’t overly steep, there was a place where I walked a short distance, and quite a few oxygen stops before reaching the pass. There was no sign at the high point, and the saddle is quite broad, so it was not until the road headed down that I realized the pass had been crossed.

Descending was not so easy either – hard braking was required to control my speed, and I developed severe arm pump and wrist pain. But eventually the road leveled and I stopped to enjoy the lemon muffin I bought in Ranfurly yesterday.

Thinking I only had to cruise down the highway to Duntroon for refreshments, and then on to Kurow, I continued downhill, and discover the route had a nasty sting in it tail – a second climb, shorter but steeper than the pass, and a killer for my tiring legs. Eventually after  three or four oxygen stops I crested the ridge and set off down to Duntroon, where I received another rude shock – turning west onto the highway I discovered the predicted gales had arrived. The Duntroon Hotel had closed down, the local café only opens Thursdays to Sundays, and the only sign of life was at the tractor shop., which could at least offer a can of soft drink.

The idea of setting up my tent at the domain camping ground in the gale didn’t appeal, so I set out to ride the final 20 kms to Kurow, straight into the gathering winds. I got no more than a few kms before realizing I my weary legs couldn’t make it, and stopped at a Maori rock art site, where I thought to pitch my tent behind a big boulder once the sun went down and I was out of sight.

But a short time later some geocachers arrived in a camper van, and the cache they were seeking was right where I had parked my bike. They offered to take me to Kurow, and I gratefully accepted. We crammed my bike and gear into the camper, and a few more geocaches later; I was delivered to the holiday park, where I have decided to have a lay day tomorrow and to review my itinerary.

The gravel road begins...

But the pass is open...

And so is the hotel...

No Boofle - you didn't do any pedalling...

The hotel is right by the road side...

Sorry, we forgot to put up a sign - that's the pass, back there (in the centre)...





1 comment: