MacKenzie Country: on a perfect cycling day…

Distance: 86.5 km. Ride Time: 5:23 hours. 

This evening I am in Omarama, after what has been the nicest day I’ve ever experienced in New Zealand.

For once I was packed early, fueled for the day and on the road by 8:30. And it was a glorious start to the day – cool, clear, and windless. I set out for the Mt Cook Salmon farm on Tekapo Canal, and had easily covered the distance by mid-morning. Setting up my fishing rod, I spent more than hour casting into the canal, but with no success. Eventually I got a tangle in my line and called it a day.

So I resumed cycling to Twizel, where I had planned tentatively to stay, arriving at around 2:30. But after a short break to refuel, with excellent riding conditions and my legs feeling fresh, I decide to continue on the extra 30 kms to Omarama.

Like the Kurow holiday park not far from here, the Omarama holiday park is one of the nicest I’ve ever visited, and I had no hesitation in returning.

Tomorrow I tackle Lindis Pass – not of itself particularly difficult, but it’s about 125 kms to Wanaka, and the only services, a café, are at Tarras some 80 kms away. It was a big day last visit, this time I may break it as I have located a camping ground along the way. Well – maybe…

Yeah, that's Hakataramea Pass away in the distance...

Not many Irishmen to be seen though...
Boofle's full of fishing advice...

Lake Pukaki panorama with Mt Cook at the head of the lake...

Best view of Mt Cook I've ever seen...
The moon rises over Omarama...

No comments:

Post a Comment